John Graduated with an BA (Hons) degree in Irish and History (Queens University, Belfast) in 1998.
Prior to working in Education, he gained a Masters Degree (MSc) in Computing and Information systems (University of Ulster) and worked as a recruitment consultant at IRC (Irish Recruitment Consultants). His interests lay more in Education however and after years spent teaching English in Japan & Italy, he returned to Ireland to pursue a Higher Diploma in Education (Maynooth University). He then worked as an Irish and History teacher for nine years. He returned to study and gained a Post Graduate Diploma in School Guidance Counselling (Maynooth University) and has worked as a Career Guidance Counsellor at second level since.
John believes in continuous professional development and has received training in a range of areas including Psychometric Testing, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Motivational interviewing, Brief intervention solution focused therapy, motivational interviewing and Restorative Practice.
He is driven by a belief in the importance of a solid Career Guidance service that is based on sound Career Guidance theory, is adaptable to the individual needs and expectations of each student and that gives the student the opportunity to research and reflect on career opportunities. He has contributed to the website www.schooldays.ie writing on Parenting and the Leaving cert. He believes that a well chosen career pathway should be one that allows the student to fulfill their potential and ultimately be happy.
qualifications & accreditation
- BA (hons) Irish and History, Queen’ s University, Belfast.
- MSc Computers and Information systems, Magee College, University of Ulster, Derry.
- Higher Diploma in Education, Maynooth University.
- Post Graduate Diploma in School Guidance & Counselling, Maynooth University.
- Certification for Psychometric Test use by Guidance Counsellors by Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI).
- British Psychological Society (BPS) in use of psychometric testing A & B (Ability and Personality) accreditation.
- Member of Institute of Guidance Counsellors (IGC)
- Member of Teaching Council of Ireland.
- Member of the William Glasser Institute of Ireland (Choice Theory Psychology – Reality Therapy)